By John M. Picker
Read Online or Download Victorian Soundscapes PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
Carolyn Oulton recovers the thoughts nineteenth-century authors used to justify the best of same-sex romantic friendship and the anxieties those options show. knowledgeable by way of contemporary insights into the erotic strength of such relationships, yet excited by romantic friendship as an autonomous and completely formulated excellent, Oulton departs from different critics who view romantic friendship as both nebulous and culturally naive or an invocation of homoerotic responsiveness.
The significance of typology within the learn of early smooth literature has lengthy been approved, but scholars of Victorian tradition have paid little recognition to it. First released in 1980, this research demonstrates how biblical typology, an it seems that arcane interpretative mode, had profound results at the secular tradition of the Victorian age: its paintings, literature and concept.
The Victorians frightened approximately many stuff, well-liked between their concerns being the 'condition' of britain and the 'question' of its girls. intercourse, Crime and Literature in Victorian England revisits those specific anxieties, concentrating extra heavily upon 4 'crimes' which generated especial crisis among contemporaries: adultery, bigamy, infanticide and prostitution.
Baby exertions tremendously contributed to the cultural and fiscal good fortune of the British Victorian theatrical undefined. This publication highlights the complexities of the conflict for baby exertions legislation, the arguments for the wishes of the theatre undefined, and the load of competition that faced any try to keep an eye on employers.
- Epistolary Encounters in Neo-Victorian Fiction: Diaries and Letters
- Transport in British Fiction: Technologies of Movement, 1840-1940 (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- Anthony Trollope's 'The Eustace Diamonds' - The Effects of Commodity Culture on Social Life and Marriage
- The Dynamics of Genre: Journalism and the Practice of Literature in Mid-Victorian Britain (Victorian Literature and Culture Series)
- Victorian Honeymoons: Journeys to the Conjugal (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
Extra info for Victorian Soundscapes
Victorian Soundscapes by John M. Picker