By Iain Quinn
Read or Download The Organist in Victorian Literature (Palgrave Studies in Music and Literature) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
Carolyn Oulton recovers the options nineteenth-century authors used to justify the perfect of same-sex romantic friendship and the anxieties those techniques display. trained through fresh insights into the erotic strength of such relationships, yet concerned about romantic friendship as an self reliant and completely formulated excellent, Oulton departs from different critics who view romantic friendship as both nebulous and culturally naive or an invocation of homoerotic responsiveness.
The significance of typology within the research of early smooth literature has lengthy been accredited, but scholars of Victorian tradition have paid little recognition to it. First released in 1980, this learn demonstrates how biblical typology, an it sounds as if arcane interpretative mode, had profound results at the secular tradition of the Victorian age: its paintings, literature and idea.
The Victorians anxious approximately many stuff, well-known between their concerns being the 'condition' of britain and the 'question' of its ladies. intercourse, Crime and Literature in Victorian England revisits those specific anxieties, concentrating extra heavily upon 4 'crimes' which generated especial problem among contemporaries: adultery, bigamy, infanticide and prostitution.
Baby hard work enormously contributed to the cultural and fiscal good fortune of the British Victorian theatrical undefined. This ebook highlights the complexities of the conflict for baby hard work legislation, the arguments for the desires of the theatre undefined, and the burden of competition that faced any try to regulate employers.
- Victorian Literature, Energy, and the Ecological Imagination (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- Murder, Mayhem and Music Hall: The Dark Side of Victorian London
- Realism, Representation, and the Arts in Nineteenth-Century Literature (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- For Better, For Worse: Marriage in Victorian Novels by Women (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature)
- Picturing Reform in Victorian Britain (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
Extra resources for The Organist in Victorian Literature (Palgrave Studies in Music and Literature)
The Organist in Victorian Literature (Palgrave Studies in Music and Literature) by Iain Quinn