By Yisrael Levin
Read or Download Swinburne's Apollo: Myth, Faith, and Victorian Spirituality PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
Carolyn Oulton recovers the options nineteenth-century authors used to justify definitely the right of same-sex romantic friendship and the anxieties those recommendations display. trained via contemporary insights into the erotic strength of such relationships, yet curious about romantic friendship as an self reliant and entirely formulated excellent, Oulton departs from different critics who view romantic friendship as both nebulous and culturally naive or an invocation of homoerotic responsiveness.
The significance of typology within the research of early glossy literature has lengthy been accredited, but scholars of Victorian tradition have paid little realization to it. First released in 1980, this learn demonstrates how biblical typology, an it seems that arcane interpretative mode, had profound results at the secular tradition of the Victorian age: its artwork, literature and notion.
The Victorians apprehensive approximately many stuff, famous between their concerns being the 'condition' of britain and the 'question' of its girls. intercourse, Crime and Literature in Victorian England revisits those specific anxieties, concentrating extra heavily upon 4 'crimes' which generated especial crisis among contemporaries: adultery, bigamy, infanticide and prostitution.
Baby hard work significantly contributed to the cultural and financial good fortune of the British Victorian theatrical undefined. This publication highlights the complexities of the conflict for baby exertions legislation, the arguments for the desires of the theatre undefined, and the burden of competition that faced any try and keep an eye on employers.
- Moral Authority, Men of Science, and the Victorian Novel (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- Victorian Songhunters: The Recovery and Editing of English Vernacular Ballads and Folk Lyrics, 1820-1883
- Victorian Narratives of the Recent Past: Memory, History, Fiction (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- Actresses as Working Women: Their Social Identity in Victorian Culture (Gender in Performance)
- Victorian Culture and Classical Antiquity: Art, Opera, Fiction, and the Proclamation of Modernity (Martin Classical Lectures)
Extra resources for Swinburne's Apollo: Myth, Faith, and Victorian Spirituality
Swinburne's Apollo: Myth, Faith, and Victorian Spirituality by Yisrael Levin