By Jerome H. Buckley
Read Online or Download Buckley: Victorian Temper: A Study in Literary Culture PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
Carolyn Oulton recovers the recommendations nineteenth-century authors used to justify definitely the right of same-sex romantic friendship and the anxieties those suggestions demonstrate. expert by way of fresh insights into the erotic strength of such relationships, yet interested in romantic friendship as an self sustaining and completely formulated excellent, Oulton departs from different critics who view romantic friendship as both nebulous and culturally naive or an invocation of homoerotic responsiveness.
The significance of typology within the examine of early sleek literature has lengthy been accredited, but scholars of Victorian tradition have paid little cognizance to it. First released in 1980, this learn demonstrates how biblical typology, an it seems that arcane interpretative mode, had profound results at the secular tradition of the Victorian age: its artwork, literature and concept.
The Victorians anxious approximately many stuff, in demand between their concerns being the 'condition' of britain and the 'question' of its ladies. intercourse, Crime and Literature in Victorian England revisits those specific anxieties, concentrating extra heavily upon 4 'crimes' which generated especial situation among contemporaries: adultery, bigamy, infanticide and prostitution.
Baby exertions significantly contributed to the cultural and monetary good fortune of the British Victorian theatrical undefined. This booklet highlights the complexities of the conflict for baby hard work legislation, the arguments for the desires of the theatre undefined, and the burden of competition that faced any try and keep watch over employers.
- Victorian Poetry and Modern Life: The Unpoetical Age (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- In Darkest London: The Gothic Cityscape in Victorian Literature
- The Female Servant and Sensation Fiction: 'Kitchen Literature'
- Ophelia and Victorian Visual Culture: Representing Body Politics in the Nineteenth Century: 0
- Women and Personal Property in the Victorian Novel (Nineteenth Century Series (Ashgate))
- The Alice Books and the Contested Ground of the Natural World (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature)
Additional resources for Buckley: Victorian Temper: A Study in Literary Culture
Buckley: Victorian Temper: A Study in Literary Culture by Jerome H. Buckley